Introduction to Monoline Lettering
Monoline Hand Lettering with Casey Schuurman
Start your Saturday morning with some calligra-therapy and fun!
‘Monoline’ is a versatile style of lettering characterised by its consistency in weight — i.e. there’s no contrast in stroke thickness. This introductory class is a great entry point to other methods/styles of handcrafted lettering and is designed to set you up to continue creating at home.
In this hands-on three hour class, Casey teaches the basic strokes that build an alphabet and how to tame your lettering nib and ink. She’ll then guide you through lettering fundamentals such as shape, spacing and proportion, as well as what makes good lettering, consistency, rhythm and simple embellishments.
Casey will also share her top ‘tips and tricks’ and effective techniques to create beautiful, expressive hand lettering which will travel home with you in the form of a take-home booklet packed full of resources! You’ll also walk away with an improved knowledge of lettering and brand new tactile skills to customise anything from posters, cards, logos, artworks, personal projects and beyond.
This workshop is perfect for those new to lettering as well as any creatives looking to improve their technique or learn a new style. This workshop has limited places to ensure everyone gets plenty of one-on-one help and personalised guidance throughout the class. Questions are always welcome via Casey’s Instagram or website (listed below).
Who is Casey Schuurman?
Casey Schuurman combines her talents as a designer and illustrator into the specialisation of Typography and Lettering. She is a big believer in beginning by hand, which has led to her love of bringing ideas to life with expressive, handcrafted Typography. When she’s not working on freelance projects - for clients such as Mecca Maxima, T2 Tea, Country Road and Oscar Wylee - Casey teaches workshops, experiments with personal work and scours Melbourne’s best bakeries for the perfect pastry.
Casey shares her work and sells Lettering focussed products and resources on both her Instagram @caseyschuurman and her website www.caseyschuurman.com.
- How to use a lettering/calligraphic Monoline nib and ink to create beautiful, custom Monoline lettering
- Increased knowledge of hand lettering and Typography principles
- Tips and tricks on design process, materials, tools and resources from a professional Lettering artist
- An improved knowledge of Typography as well as a new tactile skill to apply to anything from posters, cards, logos, artworks, personal projects and beyond
- All necessary resources and materials to continue learning and improving your lettering at home after attending this class
- Expert guidance from an experienced Lettering Artist and Workshop Instructor
- Just yourself! All materials are provided, including: A Monoline nib, straight pen holder, guide sheet to aid practise, a comprehensive booklet of class notes, techniques, resources, and alphabet exemplars.
All skill levels welcome, including complete beginners
Bookings are strictly not transferable to other dates. Please double check the date of the workshop before booking, cancellations will result in forfeit of payment.
Please note there are no refunds on classes and classes cannot be switched post booking. By purchasing this class you agree to these terms and conditions. However, if you’re unable to attend please feel free to send someone else in your place.
We often take photographs during our workshops to share through our instagram @thinkthornbury or with our community. Our photographs often contain your hands while you work but may also show your face. If you do not consent to have your (or your child's) photograph taken and shared on our social media platforms and/or website please let us know before the workshop begins.
You can send us an email prior to class email@example.com or just give us a heads up at the start of class.
We want to make sure you feel comfortable and at home in Think Thornbury!